The WIMC Indigenous Trailblazer Awards recognizes the impact and key role that Indigenous women have played within the mining and minerals industry. These women have found ways to protect and enhance their culture, their traditions and knowledge and combine them with the requirements of the industry, forging a path without fear of being different. Overcoming challenges, they have broadened the spirit of their respective people and have cleared a path to build an inclusive and nurturing space for all women in the industry.
WIMC Indigenous Trailblazer Award
The purpose of the award is to bring national recognition to Indigenous Women in Mining in Canada. By honouring these women we hope to:
- Draw attention to the decisive role Indigenous women have in the industry
- Highlight the important partnerships the Indigenous Women have forged to empower all Indigenous women who wish to participate in the mining and minerals industry
- Encourage young Indigenous women entering the industry by presenting them with strong role models.
- Share success stories from these women of varied backgrounds
2021 Indigenous Trailblazer Award Nominations
The 2021 Indigenous Trailblazer Award Nominations and requests for submissions will open in Fall 2020.
2020 Indigenous Award Selection Committee
An independent “Indigenous Trailblazer Award Selection Committee” has been formed to shape the nomination and award selection process. The committee comprises of industry leaders whom we thank for generously donated time in the process:
- Louise Grondin – Senior Vice President Environment, Sustainable Development & People, Agnico Eagle Mines Limited
- Janet Lee-Sheriff – Chief Executive Officer, Golden Predator Mining Corp.
- Dawn Madahbee Leach – Vice Chair, National Economic Development Board & Chief Executive Office, Waubetek Business Development Council
- Glenn Nolan – Vice President, Government Affairs, Noront Resources
- Leonard Rickard – Chief Executive Officer, Mississaugas of the Credit Business Corporation
- Maxime Savignac – Vice President, Human Resources, Aluminium, Rio Tinto
- Laureen Whyte – Principal, Arbutus Consulting
2020 Indigenous Trailblazer Award Nominees
- Alberta Malcolm – Winner
- Siobhan Dooley
- Angie Nadon