The WIMC Indigenous Trailblazer Awards recognizes the impact and key role that Indigenous women have played within the mining and minerals industry. These women have found ways to protect and enhance their culture, their traditions and knowledge and combine them with the requirements of the industry, forging a path without fear of being different. Overcoming challenges, they have broadened the spirit of their respective people and have cleared a path to build an inclusive and nurturing space for all women in the industry.
WIMC Indigenous Trailblazer Award
The purpose of the award is to bring national recognition to Indigenous Women in Mining in Canada. By honouring these women we hope to:
- Draw attention to the decisive role Indigenous women have in the industry
- Highlight the important partnerships the Indigenous Women have forged to empower all Indigenous women who wish to participate in the mining and minerals industry
- Encourage young Indigenous women entering the industry by presenting them with strong role models.
- Share success stories from these women of varied backgrounds
2020 Indigenous Trailblazer Award Nominations
The 2020 Indigenous Trailblazer Award nominations and requests for submission are now open.
2019 Indigenous Award Selection Committee
An independent “Indigenous Trailblazer Award Selection Committee” has been formed to shape the nomination and award selection process. The committee comprises of industry leaders whom we thank for generously donated time in the process:
- Rachel Ambrus – 2018 Recipient of the Indigenous Student Trailblazer Award; Staff Engineer, ENGEO
- Mathieu Boucher – Vice-Président, Relations avec les Autochtones, Hydro-Québec
- Derek Chum – Vice-President, Indigenous Relations, Hydro One
- Gerry Lafontaine – National Manager, Black Diamond Drilling Tools
- Nalaine Morin – 2018 Recipient of the Indigenous Trailblazer Award; Principal, Arrowblade Consulting Services
- Laureen Whyte – Principal and Senior Social Performance Consultant, Arbutus Consulting
2019 Indigenous Trailblazer Award Nominees
- Mary Caesar – Winner
- Kate Carmack
- Alberta Malcolm
- Esther Petersen
- 2019 Recipient – Mary Caesar
- 2018 Recipient – Nalaine Morin