Rick Hutson was an amazing contributor and mentor to the next generation of young men and women and was also highly valued member of the mining community. Rick had boundless energy where students were concerned and he worked with many universities and student groups speaking, listening and sharing his enthusiasm for mining. Rick Hutson was a board member of Women in Mining Canada and thus the Award for Mentorship was established in his name. Rick Hutson passed away in 2014.
Women in Mining Canada recognizes those nominees who have mentored women along their journey, either in school or in the course of their careers in Mining. Breaking into new fields is a daunting task at best, and the mining
world presents numerous complexities. Women in Mining is dedicated to strengthening the lives and communities of women in the mineral and mining supply sector, through a knowledge and exchange base, and mentorship. Mentorship is extremely important and this support in our industry helps provide career development choices and creates industry change.
Rick Hutson Mentorship Award
The purpose of the award is to bring national recognition to those individuals, women and men, who have facilitated students and professionals discover their aptitude for the industry, but also their place and role in an industry that is continuously evolving and seemingly daunting. By honouring these individuals, we hope to:
- Draw attention to the impact that mentors have on the next generation and the mining and mineral industry
- Highlight the important role mentors play in empowering and helping women in the industry “find their place and their individual space”
- Encourage young women entering the industry by presenting them with guidelines and advice
- Share success stories from these women of varied backgrounds
2021 Rick Hutson Mentorship Award Nominations
The 2021 Rick Hutson Mentorship Award Nominations and requests for submissions will open in Fall 2020.
2020 Rick Hutson Mentorship Award Selection Committee
An independent “Rick Hutson Mentorship Award Selection Committee” has been formed to shape the nomination and award selection process. The committee comprises of industry leaders whom we thank for generously donated time in the process:
- Marc Gasparotto – Communications Intern, Lundin Mining Corporation
- Heather Jamieson – Professor, School of Environmental Studies and Department of Geological Sciences & Geological Engineering, Queen’s University & recipient of the 2019 Rick Hutson Mentorship Award
- Ashley Kirwan – Founder, President, Chief Executive Officer & Principal Geologist, Orix Geoscience Inc.
- Mélanie LaRoche-Boisvert – Graduate student in Mining Engineering, McGill University & co-founder of the WIMC Student Trailblazer Award
- Patrick McAndless – Industry mentor for students and professionals & recipient of the 2017 Rick Hutson Mentorship Award
- Genevieve Morinville – Manager, Environmental, Social and Governance, Baffinland
- Gabrielle Samek – Mining and Mineral Engineering student, Queen’s University & recipient of the 2019 Student Trailblazer Award